Some Interesting Facts About Planet Earth

The Earth is a beautiful place to live and explore. It has a plenty of life-supporting features and is constantly changing/evolving. Several scientists and geologist have explored Earth and other planets. Earth is the third planet from the Sun and is the largest of the terrestrial planets. Earth is the only planet in the solar system not named after a mythological being. Instead, its name is derived from the Old English word “ertha” and the Anglo-Saxon word “erda” which means ground or soil. The Earth has shaped approximately 4.54 billion years ago & it is the only planet to have the atmosphere containing oxygen, oceans on its surface and of course life. Earth is special because it is an ocean planet. Water covers 70% of Earth’s surface. About 230 million years ago, dinosaurs roamed the earth until they died and were replaced by early humans about 200,000 years ago. Lets see some interesting facts about our beloved platet.

Earth Name

Earth is the only planet in the solar system that does not has its name after any Roman or Greek God.

The Coldest Place in the Universe

It may sound strange, but the coldest place in the Universe is not anywhere in the vast, cold outer space, it exists here on Earth. The Boomerang Nebula in the constellation Centaurus is officially the coldest known place in the entire Universe. It’s even colder than the frigid background temperature of space! The Boomerang Nebula, which is an interstellar mashup of dust and ionized gases, plunges to a jaw-dropping temperature of minus 458 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 272 degrees Celsius), or just a degree Celsius above absolute zero, as measured by astronomers using the Atacama Large Millimeter-submillimeter Array (ALMA) in Chile in 2013. This object is located some 5,000 light-years away.

203 Years ago, volcano in Indonesia island caused a climate catastrophe

The tremendous eruption of Mount Tambora in April 1815 was the most powerful volcanic eruption of the 19th century. The island of Sumbawa, home to Mount Tambora, is located in present-day Indonesia. When the island was first discovered by Europeans, the mountain was thought to be an extinct volcano.The eruption and the tsunamis it triggered killed tens of thousands of people. The Tambora event was the largest volcanic eruption in the last millennium. On the U.S. Geological Survey’s Volcano Explosivity Index, Tambora scores a seven out of eight. That’s ten times bigger than the 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruption and a hundred times more powerful than the 1981 Mount St. Helens blast. Tambora’s catastrophic eruption began on April 5, 1815, with small tremors and pyroclastic flows. A shattering blast blew the mountain apart on the evening of April 10. The blast, pyroclastic flows, and tsunamis that followed killed at least 10,000 islanders and destroyed the homes of 35,000 more. Before its eruption Mount Tambora was about 4,300 metres (14,000 feet) high. After the eruption ended, a caldera spanning some 6 km (3.7 miles) across remained.

The deepest spot on Earth

The Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench is the deepest known point in Earth’s oceans. The Mariana Trench stretches 2,500 kilometers (1,500 miles) in an arc that is edged by islands such as Guam and Saipan. Its deepest point is known as the Challenger Deep, some 35,756 feet (10,890 meters) — or nearly 7 miles (11 kilometers) — beneath the surface of the sea. The trench is deeper than Mount Everest is tall. There are several unusual lifeforms at the bottom of the trench, including foot-long amphipods and sea cucumbers that camouflage themselves against the sandy bottom. The deepest part of the ocean was first explored in January 1960 by Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard, using the bathyscaphe Trieste. The deep holes in the Mariana trench were formed due to the collision of converging plates of oceanic lithosphere. During the collision, one plate descends into the mantle and the downward flexure forms a trough at the line of contact between the plates.

Oceans cover about 70% of the Earth’s surface

Water makes up about 71% of the Earth’s surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands. To break the numbers down, 96.5% of all the Earth’s water is contained within the oceans as salt water, while the remaining 3.5% is freshwater lakes and frozen water locked up in glaciers and the polar ice caps. The Earth is often compared to a majestic blue marble, especially by those privileged few who have gazed upon it from orbit. This is due to the prevalence of water on the planet’s surface. While water itself is not blue, water gives off blue light upon reflection.

Hottest and coldest places on earth

From the sizzling hot, to the freezing cold, we take a look at some of the most extreme destinations on Earth.

Death Valley’s Furnace Creek (a census-designated place in Inyo County, California) holds the record for the highest reliably recorded air temperature in the world, 134 °F (56.7 °C) on July 10, 1913.

And the coldest place on the planet are found in the freezing continent of Antarcticathe coldest and windiest continent in the world. Holding the record of the coldest natural temperature ever recorded, -89.2 degrees C in 1983, the East Antarctic Plateau is the coldest area of Antarctica.

The Earth is Slowing Down

The moon is responsible for things on Earth, like our tides and possibly even our weird dreams during a full moon, and now a new study claims that the moon is actually slowing down Earth’s days. The Earth is slowing down about 17 milliseconds every 100 years.

How much gold is in the Earth’s core?

There is enough gold at the core of the earth to cover the surface of the planet in 12’ to 13’ depth. Unfortunately, it’s 1,800 miles below our feet and at many thousands of degrees.

The world’s highest waterfall

Angel Falls (Salto Ángel) in Venezuela is the highest waterfall in the world. The falls are 3230 feet in height, with an uninterrupted drop of 2647 feet. Angel Falls is located on a tributary of the Rio Caroni. Angel Falls is named after the American aviator Jimmie Angel. On November 18, 1933, he became the first person to fly over them, thus sharing their existence with the public and forever linking himself to one of Earth’s true natural wonders. “Angel Falls is so high that some of the water evaporates before it even reaches the pool below. Unlike most falls, this one isn’t fed by snowmelt, a lake or a river, but by rainfall from the tropical clouds.”

The closest point to space on Earth is not Mount Everest

Rather it is Mount Chimborazo, a 20,000 plus foot mountain in the Andes. Even though Mount Everest is taller from sea level, Mount Chimborazo sits higher on Earth’s bulge. Mount Chimborazo is an Andean stratovolcano in central Ecuador, looming so impressively over the country that, on a clear day, you can see it all the way from the large port city of Guayaquil, 90 miles away. Chimborazo is Ecuador’s highest point. Chimborazo has a circumference of 78 miles and a diameter of 30 miles. Its crater is 820 feet deep and has a surface diameter of 1,600 feet.

One Ice Age? No, it’s been several

Ice covered the Earth and woolly mammoths roamed during a recent Ice Age 300,000 years ago. But this wasn’t the only time ice completely covered the Earth. Scientists have discovered at least four other separate Ice Ages in the past .

There Are Not 24 Hours In a Day

It only takes 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4.0916 seconds for the Earth to turn once its axis. This is what’s called a sidereal day. The solar day, the time it takes for the sun to return to the same spot on the meridian, varies as much as 16 minutes throughout the year, due to the position in its orbit.

Leave a Reply